Woodland owners across the Driftless are embracing a new trend: combining annual crop production with perennial cover like trees or shrubs, or agroforestry.
Benefits of agroforestry systems are vast: wildlife habitat, improved soil health, diversified income, cleaner water and air, and more!
Agroforestry can take many forms:
- Alley cropping – vegetables grow between trees and shrubs
- Forest farming – specialty crops grow under mature forest canopy
- Riparian buffers – trees and shrubs grow adjacent to streams and wetlands to protect waterways
- Silvopasture – trees, livestock and forages are managed together
- Windbreaks – field windbreaks protect soil and improve crop yields
Sound interesting? Get the basics of agroforestry systems.