Conducting a Burn

How do I conduct a burn on my property?

Person conducting prescribed burn
You must secure a permit before conducting a burn.

Conducting a burn requires training and experience. Many private contractors are available to burn your land, and in some areas networks of trained volunteers have formed to help each other do prescribed burns, as well.

Regardless of who helps you with your burn, you must secure a permit from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources or your local municipal or township authorities before anyone lights a match.

Private landowners can also conduct prescribed fires on their own land after obtaining any necessary permits. However, your right is also your responsibility. If your fire escapes and starts a wildfire, you may be responsible for all suppression costs, and can be held accountable for any injury or loss of property incurred as a result.

Thus, it’s highly recommended that you work with a professional or someone else with prior experience.